Change of seasons are fun, but when the weather changes to match that season, it’s glorious. Here in South Louisiana we finally had some “cooler” weather that definitely got me in the Fall mood. Naturally I had to run to my nearest Trader Joe’s and hit up some of the Fall favorites. I love food, and I really love seasonal food. I don’t like sabotaging my healthy lifestyle so I always find ways to fit in the seasonal favorites with a healthier flare. These aren’t the only options but they are some good ones.
Here are 10 ways to enjoy the popular Trader Joe’s Fall foods without sabotaging your health.
Fiocchetti, white fish, & asparagus
- Cook Fiocchetti according to package
- Season fish with desired seasonings (rosemary & lemon, garlic, onion powder, etc) bake fish until cooked through (145 degrees).
- Saute asparagus on stove top and season with lemon juice & salt and pepper. Cook until tender.
Sweet potato gnocchi, chicken, & brussels
- Cook gnocchi according to package
- Season chicken with Rosemary, salt, & pepper. Bake in the oven until fully cooked (165 degrees)
- Spread diced brussel sprouts on a sheet pan. Drizzle balsamic vinegar, salt, & pepper, toss and bake for 20-30 minutes.
Shredded chicken in pepita salsa in crockpot for tacos, salads, etc
- Place chicken in slow cooker, pour over half jar of Pepita Salsa and cook on low for 4ish hours (until chicken is 165 degrees)
- Once chicken is cooked, shred with a hand mixer or forks.
- Enjoy on lettuce for a salad, tortillas for tacos, chips for nachos, or however you’d like
Autumn Harvest pasta sauce, cauliflower gnocchi, broccoli & chicken or fish
- I’ve found the best way to cook the gnocchi is in the air fryer. On 400 degrees for 15 minutes. If you don’t have an air fryer feel free to follow the package instructions.
- Cook chicken or fish with desired seasonings.
- Fill a small pot with ½ inch water, and boil broccoli. Once tender drain and season.
- Pour ¼ cup over gnocchi & meat option, enjoy!
Pumpkin pancakes with eggs
- Cook pancakes according to package
- While cooking pancakes scramble 1 egg or 2 egg whites, cook in frying pan or cast iron pan.
Pumpkin butter in protein shake
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk (or milk of choice)
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie seasoning
- 1 Tbsp pumpkin butter
- 1 scoop Pure Life Protein powder (any flavor will work, I use the unflavored)
Blend all together and ENJOY!
Sweet potato chips in black bean hummus
- Find your favorite store bought black bean hummus and enjoy with 1 serving of sweet potato chips
Cookies & coffee
- Bake cookies according to package directions
- Brew coffee however you typically brew your coffee at home.
Enjoy together as a great afternoon snack, try sticking to 1 cookie so you don’t go over allotted calories/sugar/carbs.
Goat cheese & Pumpkin Cranberry Crisps
- This one doesn’t need instructions. Spread the cheesy goodness on a crisp and enjoy!
Butternut squash mac n cheese & white fish, & side salad or sautéed spinach
- Season fish with desired seasoning and bake until fish reaches 145 degrees internal temp.
- Prepare mac and cheese according to package directions.
- Saute spinach in a separate small pot.
I don’t always promote packaged foods, but occasionally in order to enjoy some fun comfort food, it’s ok. Moderation right?!?!