Building your Immune System
I listened to a really great pod cast (1) yesterday regarding our immune systems and how we can strengthen them. The big topic lately is of course Corona Virus. Regardless of what your view is on this particular virus, there are SO MANY things going around. There’s several strands of flu, strep, adenovirus, just to name a few. So really we want to build our immune system no matter what’s going around. According to Dr. Josh Axe, did you know our bodies are made to fight off viruses?? Pretty cool. It definitely takes away the scare tactic just knowing that we were made to fight off the viruses and there are things we can do to build our immune systems.
Here are a few tips that Dr Axe shared in his recent podcast and I thought they were super helpful. If you get a chance I highly recommend listening to it.
Fear is actually more dangerous to our bodies then a virus. Fear weakens our immune system and can cause cardiovascular damage, gastrointestinal problems such as ulcers and irritable bowel syndrome, and decreased fertility. It can lead to accelerated aging and even premature death.(2) How do we combat fear?
When I feel fear hit I remember a verse my mom taught me when I was younger. “For God has not given me a spirit of fear but of LOVE, and POWER, and a SOUND MIND” 2 Timothy 1:7
I say this verse again and again and remind myself that God is in control and fear does not come from Him. I repeat it until I feel it in my spirit and believe it in my mind.
Load up on light yellow foods
– Bone Broth strengthens our immune system. You can make this on your own, I like this recipe, or buy it in stores. If you buy it in stores I recommend Bonefide Provisions which can be found in the frozen food section at Whole Foods.
– Ginger strengthens our immune system. Try a ginger tea. Boil fresh ginger for 10-30 minutes. Drain, cool to drinking temp, and enjoy!
– Garlic is an antiviral. There are garlic supplements you can take, garlic oil, or simply use fresh garlic.
– Onion is antiviral
– Echinacea is antiviral, You can find this supplement in several places including online or your local health food store
– Elderberry is immune boosting. This supplement has become pretty popular and can be found in many places. Elderberry syrup is pretty popular and can be found at your local health food stores and even Farmer’s Markets.
– Vitamin C, You can find this supplement in several places including online or your local health food store
– Zinc, You can find this supplement in several places including online or your local health food store
– Oil of Oregano is antiviral. You can find this supplement in several places including online or your local health food store
I hope you find this as helpful as I did. There are many ways we can improve our health and not spend a fortune. Living healthy doesn’t have to be hard or expensive. Remember if we change just ONE thing a day when we review our years past we’ll see that we’ve come a long way. #changeyourdaychangeyourlife #progressnotperfection
(1) Rhythms For Life Podcast with Dr Josh Axe